Saturday, October 23, 2004

Strong quakes rock Japan, killing two and derailing train

This wasn't anywhere near us, but it the number of quakes this year is starting to make me nervous. Nagoya is awaiting its own "big one" and we are just hoping that in such an event our old house would hold up. What a weird mental state to live in - any day a huge quake could, no, will kill a bunch of us, and there is nothing to do but get as ready as you can. What are you gonna do? Shikata ga nai, as the Japanese say. Coming from Winnipeg, where the only natural disaster is winter, I am having a hard time with all the time Japan is spending in the news recently. Typhoons, quakes, and even a volcano. What's left? I suppose Godzilla should be along fairly soon.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Does it really play on your head after a while? You are right about never having to think about it on the Prairies. But, when I asked people in KC about the tornado season, they all brush it off like it is just something you get used to. Perhaps that is your future talking...?

UF said...

Yeah, I guess 90% of the time I am in that "brush off" phase, but then in that other 10%...