Saturday, June 12, 2004

Jordon points to an idea about re-arranging the NHL to make an even better league.

I was having similar thoughts in the good-ideas-that-are-never-going-to-happen realm, only about basketball. I was watching the game yesterday, and thinking about the critics who say there is too much scoring in basketball (though hardly a criticism that can be made about the current series...). Now basketball is my favorite game and I its biggest defender, but I have to admit there is some truth to the idea that there is no point in watching the first half, as the only real action that matters happens right at the end. I have heard so many people say that they only tune in for the last 10 minutes because that is the only part that really matters. The only ones watching the whole game are guys like me who love watching the sport itself...

So anyway, here is my improvement. We divide a basketball game into three periods and play it set/match style like volleyball (may the basketball gods forgive me for making that comparison...). So basically, instead of 48 minutes continuous, you play three separate "mini-games" of 16 or 20 minutes, and whoever wins 2, wins the match. Also then if the teams are very unevenly matched, the stronger team wins the first two games, and it's over - no need to sit through the boring final quarter of a blowout. If the teams are very evenly matched, it would end up pretty much like it does now, with overtime, etc. But basically the best part would be that there would be three "final minutes" in every game, and all the excitement that comes with that. And it would seem a little less like the entire first half means next to nothing...

So what do you think? Should I send it to the league commissioner??

No comments: