Monday, April 19, 2004

and then it occured to me. maybe all this peace on earth stuff--you know, peace on earth, goodwill to all men--maybe it is completely and totally possible. but we just don't want it. or at least not if it means i must enter into someone else's suffering, that i must descend into someone else's hell in order to find some redemption for both of us. jesus said, whatever you do for the least of these, you've done it to me. what if i prefer the supply-side jesus, and i just can't bring myself like jesus told the rich young ruler to sell all i have and give to the poor. what if i'm too busy thinking about how to buy a house or how to keep my kids safe or my future secure or my life comfortable to give any time to the things that make for peace? what if?

Jen Lemen

No comments: